Monday, September 04, 2006

No Elk but Beaver!

3 Sept 2006 – After the Cowboy Poets we returned to Sundance via the Black Hills National Forest (gravel road). Becky kindly allowed this 2 hour trip so I could pursue my photo of a male elk. We managed to see 4 females (crossed the road right in front of us but kept going into the woods) but I am still looking for my elk photo. What we did see was more white tail deer than I have ever seen in my life. They ran from 3 or 4 in a group to a mile or more of 30 to 40 deer HERDS right after another. I only saw a few trophy bucks but plenty of 8 point. Mixed in with some of the deer were flocks of turkey – 4 to 15 birds. However, the high point for me was the beaver dam and lodge in the photos. I had never seen one other than in a photo and was quite impressed. Becky thought I was crazy for climbing down the cliff to get the photo but what can I say! The close up almost shows the tooth marks!!! I thought the beaver could have done a better job of organizing the logs for the dam though, don’t you?

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: