Thursday, October 09, 2008

Dad's Thoughts on Happiness

A conversation with a friend of mine today made me think about how some people seem to always be happy and others seem to always be down in the dumps. Personally I am of the opinion that being happy is a 'choice' we make. The reason is I see so many people who have so little reason to be happy (at least from an outsider's perspective) but are still always upbeat, a smile on their face and never complaining about how life is so unfair to them.

On the other hand the reverse is also true. Some who 'appear' to have so many reasons to be happy always seem glum, complain about one thing or another and are pretty well interested in talking only about what is 'wrong with their world'.

Again, personally, I find that even when things are not going as I would like, I have no difficulty in finding plenty of things to be thankful for (and happy about). Hence I believe we can 'choose' to be happy (my personal choice). I truly hope my children and their families agree with me - it appears to me they do. I thank the Lord for that as he has been good to us all.

I realize there are others who will likely NOT share my view. So be it.

No comments: