Thursday, January 07, 2010

More Oregon

Long time since my last posting so I will try to catch up and keep the photos in date sequence. These photos are more about our time in Oregon. The first two were taken over on the coast as we did a sightseeing tour. This old boat had been sunk for a long time and was a great photo op. Not sure I captured the essence of it but you do what you can.







The Oregon coast is absolutely too photogenic! Everywhere you look there is a photo begging to be taken. Here are a few that made the cut.








The trout fishing at the resort was to die for (yes, size does matter!) and we came away with a couple of good fish stories and one 'bragging rights' fish for Dave - just under 9 pounds!
The other two fish have great stories to go with them.









This young man was a German immigrant who was there with his wife. They were both graduates of the University of Arizona where they met and were working in silicon valley. They were getting tired of the 'rat race' and thinking moving to Austin and had decided to take a short vacation in Oregon to try the 'quiet' lifestyle. He had never caught a fish and asked me to help him out. I met him after work at the fishing dock and showed him the basics and the two of us started to fish. I hooked a trout and gave him the rod to bring the fish in - I then realized neither of us had brought a landing net and told him to just play the fish while I ran up to our trailer to get a net. Came back within a minute to see him holding up the rod on the dock with a broken line!!! He had tried to rush the trout who showed the young man what he could do. I re-rigged my rod and we resumed fishing. I again hooked a trout and handed him the rod to land the fish. This time I stayed and 'coached' him through the fighting and landing of a large trout on 4 pound test line. Here is the result. Oh yes, I also took him to the cleaning station and 'coached' him through the cleaning of a trout!! His wife caught the second fish on video and they both told us it had 'made' their trip. They were a wonderful young couple.










This young man with a fish came with his uncle (and the uncle's family). He had also never caught a fish and REALLY wanted to fish. The uncle wasn't that excited about the prospect and resisted buying a license for his nephew. Becky somewhat shamed him into it and you see the result!! Needless to say this boy was TOO excited. The fish was over five pounds so he got to put his name on the 'big fish' board. I also took this photo and posted it in the office with his info.





And finally this is a photo of a very good friend from our English days - Chuck McKereghan. He and his wife retired to Oregon and Becky and I ran down that way to visit. It was wonderful seeing him again and walking around his house was like a visit back to Yorkshire. Happy retirement Chuck!




No comments: